Thoughts and Feelings on 9/11/01

I was 15.... I remember very clearly that day. I always woke up to an alarm of our local radio station Z103. It was different this day because they weren't playing music but talking about something terrible that had happened. I immediately turned on my television and was engrossed as I watched the events that had happened. I remember watching live as the second plane hit. I honestly couldn't believe what was happening. I remember going to school and having the television on during class. I remember the face of my teacher as we watched...she was crying. It was emotional for everyone. 

Here is my journal entry for that very day:

"Well, today is a day that will go down in history for many years.  This morning, in New York City, the world trade center was hit by an airplane. They say four planes were sabotaged.  they were terrorist attacks!  The first tower was hit and about 20 minutes later another plane came and hit the other tower.  They were burning and then both buildings collapsed.  There were so many people who died, there are still people trapped in the buildings.  thousands, for all we know.  In Washington D.C.  the Pentagon was bombed and another plan went down in Pennsylvania.  They say this is worse destruction than what happened at Pearl Harbor.  More lives have been lost, which is amazing and sad because Pearl Harbor was such a tragedy.  It is a very sad and tragic event that has happened in our wonderful country.  I lived to see it.  I was watching the television live when it happened and the sad story and event will live on forever.  its the worst terrorist attack in the U.S. history."

One year later, I wrote:

"Today was the one year anniversary of the 9/11 attack on America.  They've done tributes all day.  It's so sad to even listen to anything let alone watch it.  I felt bad doing anything because I felt like I should direct all my attention and care to this horrible tragedy.  We started the day with an assembly at school.  It was really nice.  We watched shows on it, mostly about the Twin Towers (world trade center). They named every person who died and I really got to thinking...3000 people died, each person had their own individual lives just like I do.  I just can't even imagine how it affected their families when it has affected us so much and we didn't know those who did die!  I was talking with some of my friends and we reflected...All those people woke up that day going about their normal lives and all of a sudden, they're gone.  You just never know. I could die today, tomorrow.... Life is so fragile. I know I take so much for granted.  I really do love my country and my beautiful state of Idaho. I love where I live.  I love the red, white, and blue.  I love the national anthem and the Pledge of allegiance.  I love saying them.  I love our language.  I love our flag. I'm so grateful for my freedom! God bless the U.S.A! We shall not forget!"

I'd like to reiterate those words....I will not forget. There are so many things we should be grateful for....that I should be grateful for. Life is so precious. We must treat every moment we have in this life like it's gold. Say I love you to those you love, give a hug to a friend, smile at a stranger, give service to those in need, forget past discretion, and remember forever the day that was so terrible and yet brought a country together.


It's so hard to believe that someone had so much hate in their hearts that they'd do something so horrendous.  Innocent people died. War is a hard thing to wrap around. Yes we are one as a country, but as individuals we are each unique and special in our own ways. I'm grateful for those who remained courageous even when they knew they may die.  My thoughts and prayers go to all those families who lost someone on that day. And thank you to those who went up to save those who were coming down....Thank you and God Bless!

Comments

  1. You are a very special young woman Brandi. I'm so proud of how you have articulated your thoughts and feelings. I've always been proud of the fact that you keep a journal and have for many years. You are an elect young woman and God knows of your significance in his kingdom. I love you sweetheart!........Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You just made my day! Let me know if you're a new visitor or a new follower...I'd love to check out your blog! Hey, and I also speak Portuguese and a little Spanish! Beijos!!