Confession

Confession....
I have dry hair!!!

I am always trying to find the next best thing to keep my hair moisturized. I have tried pretty much everything you can imagine.... egg yolks, olive oil, jajoba oil, and they've been ok. I always ask around  what others like or find best. The only reason my hair actually finally grew longer is because I spent 19 months in Brazil and didn't barely do a dang thing to it. Wish I could have continued doing that....

Well, pretty sure I have found the ultimate moisture treatment....not kidding. Here it is---

 Pure unrefined coconut oil! 

After I tried this, my hair felt the best it has in quite some time. 

Here are a few facts:

Coconut oil is rich in fatty acids, which nourish and moisturize the scalp and hair. Polynesian cultures historically have and still do use coconut oil as a beauty oil, according to the Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu, Hawaii. A study published in the "Journal of Cosmetic Science" in 1999, found that coconut oil applied to the hair reduced hair breakage and damage. You can replace expensive deep conditioning salon treatments, by using coconut oil as a hair conditioner at home.

Things You'll Need
  • Glass cup
  • Small bowl
  • Shower cap
  • Comb
Step 1
Pour 1 cup of hot water into a small bowl.
Step 2
Scoop 2 tsp. coconut oil out of the jar, using a clean spoon, and put it into a glass cup (I used a paper cup)
Step 3
Place the cup of coconut oil into the bowl of warm water.(it also works to just fill your sink and put the cup in there)  Leave the cup in the bowl/sink until the coconut oil melts. Pure coconut oil is solid at cold temperatures but melts quickly at 76 degrees F or above.
Step 4
Massage the coconut oil onto your scalp and throughout your hair. If your hair is long, you may need to use additional coconut oil. You can apply the coconut oil to dry or damp hair, whichever you prefer. The oil spreads more easily through damp hair.
Step 5
Comb your hair to distribute the coconut oil evenly through your hair.
Step 6
Put a shower cap on your head and tuck all of your hair inside of it. Leave the coconut oil on your hair for one hour or overnight. The longer you leave the coconut oil on, the more it will condition your hair.
Step 7
Shampoo your hair twice to remove the coconut oil completely.
Step 8
Melt a pea-sized amount of coconut oil in the palms of your hands, by rubbing your hands together and apply it lightly throughout your hair for extra conditioning, concentrating on the ends of your hair. At the suggestion of my sister, I have actually purchased Redken Argan-6 oil to apply after I towel dry my hair and if needed a little more after I blow dry. I like the smell and it adds that extra moisture. You can skip this step (whether its the coconut oil or you try the Redken) if your hair does not need extra conditioning.
Step 9
Style your hair as normal.

Tips and Warnings
  • Purchase pure, unrefined coconut oil for best results. Pure, unrefined coconut oil is processed without chemicals. Chemical processing destroys the oil's valuable nutrients. Unrefined coconut oil is sold in health foods stores. You can purchase pure, unrefined coconut oil that is sold for cosmetic use or for food use. Mix one drop of your favorite essential oil into the coconut oil before putting it into your hair, to give the oil a pleasant scent. Jasmine oil and honeysuckle oil work well with coconut oil.
I plan on trying it 1-2 times a week. I am really excited to see some shine in my dull dry hair thanks to this treatment.

(Coconut oil hair treatment found at livestrong.com)

And Congrats the the Junieblake giveaway winners. Check out who won HERE.Thanks again to all those who participated. I hope that there will be many more to come!!

Beijos!!

Comments

  1. Here's a good tutorial as well! http://www.howdoesshe.com/coconut-oil-moisture-treatment

    There's also a link in their sponsor area for a $10 off coupon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good blog.Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi! I love coconut oil... its so multi purpose. DId you know that if you add coconut oil to melted chocolate it makes magic shell chocolate sauce??? You know, the kind of chocolate sauce that hardens when it hits cold ice cream? Try it, its amazing.

    Yours,
    Nico

    www.SatinAndSalt.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You just made my day! Let me know if you're a new visitor or a new follower...I'd love to check out your blog! Hey, and I also speak Portuguese and a little Spanish! Beijos!!